Sunday, September 1, 2019

Responding to God's Will

"For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised" (Hebrews 10:36)

Often I have an image of blessed bliss when I think about being in the center of God's will. The author of Hebrews think otherwise - the will of God is not something that "happens to me", it requires my participation, it shapes my character, it molds my mindset. So, when I think about God's will for my life, I ought to consider in what areas are God wanting me to practice endurance, that which I should persist in doing and not give up? Sometimes, people may use the "will of God" to try something new or as an excuse to get out of something which is very troublesome. But the need for endurance could be the very thing the Doctor ordered!

"And let endurance have its perfect result, that you many be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:4)

We visited the Billy Graham Library about two weeks ago and written on Ruth Bell Graham's gravestone are these words - End of Construction - Thanks for your patience".



Ruth saw this notice when she drove past an actual construction site and thought that this is such a precious reminder that God is still working in us while we are on this side of eternity. His will to shape us never stops - so, she immediately wanted this "signage" to be posted on her gravestone to mark the completion of God's work in her life (and His patience in shaping her)!

So, what do we do when the going gets tough - pray that God will give the wisdom to discern between the need for endurance and our inclination to look for excuses! Discover the Hand of the Great Constructor who is at work and you will be surprised at the long-term results He desires for you.

Please pray for us
Debra and myself need to be practicing endurance as we go through the rudiments of classes, assignments, research papers, etc. Although we are "soaking in" all the good learning stuff of seminary but we need to continuously be on guard to have the mindset of a "excellent completer", not just an "enthusiastic starter".

Also, this week I plan to put a diligent effort to kick-start (and maintain) my online coaching services. This is a needed effort as this will help to offset our living expenses here in the US. Please pray for God's wisdom and guidance so that I will rightly divide my time between studies, internship and also this online coaching service.

Thank you for partnering with us in this journey of joy.

Joseph, Debra & Eunice.

No comments:

Post a Comment